How We Style It - Breton Stripes


Brigitte Bardot, Pablo Picasso, Kate Moss, Jean Seberg, James Dean, Julia and I all have something amazing in common. "You're all rich, famous, and beautiful!?"- someone in the cheap seats. NOPE! Nice try, though. Our common thread is that we all understand the enduring chic that is a Breton stripe shirt, and we fully work the HAIL out of it!

I am not kidding you when I say that I wear my Yachting Tee from Claridge + King (which you can pick up for yaself at 20% off through Monday, 5/21/12 using the offer code TARTAN) at least twice a week - a Breton stripe is so easy to wear, layer, and dress up or down that it's absurd. It's literally such a cute top that no one thinks to ask if I actually own any other items of clothing to cover my top half. Spoiler alert - I don't!  
"Wearing what concerned friends fear may be her only shirt"
When I was trying to think of reasons people might not wear them, the only thing I could come up with is that horizontal stripes can make people look more...ahem...horizontal in the body region? But I really don't find that to be the case - it's ALL about finding the right proportions of stripes for your bodice! I mean, it's not like I'm telling you to go out and buy a Hamburglar-esque get-up - I think that a nice slim stripe (like the ones pictured in Julia and I's Glamour Shots this week) works on everyone. Check out how Miss J if you're nasty and I style our Breton stripe tops, and also check out my Breton Stripe board on Pinterest - it's where I collect all my Breton intel, babes!  
Lands End 3/4-sleeve Boatneck sailor tee, Hermés scarf (similar), Seven jeans (similar),  
Michael Kors Odin Flats, Ben's watch, Rex & Penny Moon Wave Cuff
 David Yurman 5mm blue topaz bracelet 
Photo Credit: Ben McDonald
Photo Credit: Ben McDonald
Photo Credit: Ben McDonald
Zara Striped Boatneck Shirt (similar), White Pashmina, J.Crew Pink Cardigan (similar), 
UO Jeans (similar), Gold Sperry Top-Siders, LV Neverfull
Photo Credit: TJC
Photo Credit: TJC

Michael Kors Odin Flats, Grandmother's vintage clutch, Rachel Mulherin Aqua Blue and Gold Bib Necklace 
Photo Credit: Ben McDonald
Photo Credit: Ben McDonald
KJL Earrings (similar), Zara Cobalt Linen Jacket (similar), Zara Striped Boatneck Shirt (similar), 
J.Crew and Lilly Pulitzer Bangles, J.Crew Navy Minnies, Steven Nude Pumps (similar), LV Speedy 
Photo Credit: TJC
Photo Credit: TJC
Honey Boo-Boo Children, where did you get your favorite Breton stripe tee? My closet could ALWAYS use another! Because, obviously, you're not going to let me borrow that top.

Comments

  1. So many cute looks you've put together it's hard to pick a favorite! I do really love it peaking out from the men's shirt though:)
    xo,
    www.abitofsass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, LOVE Breton tops and love the variety of ways you've worn them in this post. You've inspired me to add one to my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you styled the shirts!!! I bought one from the Rodarte for Target collection and I wear it at least once a week!!! I just bought a short sleeve one so I won't die in the summer! xoxo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've styled it with a men's shirt!
    www.fashionizelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic styles never go out of fashion – they return as trends and this long sleeve bodysuit does just that, gently separating style from class! It is superbly designed to fall just right on you, giving the right edge to your contours. Ensure that you take a look at the collection today and get some for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, comfortable, classy and fashionable at one – showcasing the beach tees for the ultimate fashion experience at the beach. Style yourself in these and never be at a loss – whether catching a nap or a snack on the beach. Make sure you stand out from the crowd as you dress tom impress in a classic beach tee!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting!

Popular Posts