How We Style It: Not-So-Boring Business Casual

One of my idols, HBIC (aka Editor-in-Chief of Elle Magazine) Robbie Myers. Amazing style.
I will admit that for the past several years, I have worked places where jeans and t-shirts are totally acceptable work attire. Its been AWESOME! But now, at my new job, I find myself having to go down to my clients' office once as week. While the jeans and t-shirts are fine for agency life, they're not exactly appropriate for other industries. 
I mean, how chic is Anne Hathaway's look here.
So for the past few months since I joined my new agency, I've finding myself scouring my closet for business casual looks. I used to work at J.Crew (shocking, I know) and my previous roles did require me to dress business casual, so I have quite the arsenal. But how does one re-imagine and combine those pieces for a look that certainly business casual but certainly not boring? Enter today's How We Style It.

For my first look, I've tried to mix up the old button-down and black pants look by rotating in a chambray button-down and rocking bold accessories. I feel like these unexpected touches still achieve a business causal look but add a new edge and polish.
J.Crew Chambray Shirt, J.Crew Patent Belt (similar), J.Crew Trousers (similar), Warby Parker Preston Glasses
Kate Spade Necklace (similar), Forever 21 Ring, Spike The Punch, Forever 21 and J.Crew Bracelets
Photo Credit: TJC

Photo Credit: TJC
For Allison's first look, she went with trusty office staples - black pants and black cardi - and added just a 'lil bit of pizzaz to them with a patent leather skinny belt, a leopard pashmina, and a statement bag.

J. Crew Jackie Cardigan, Forever 21 Faux Leather Trimmed Button Up, J. Crew Cropped Pixie Pants, Zara FlatsJ. Crew Patent Leather Skinny Belt, Louis Vuitton Petit Noé Bag
David Yurman 5MM Blue Topaz Bracelet 
Photo Credit: Ben McDonald
Photo Credit: Ben McDonald

For my second look, I've tried to take items reserved typically reserved for more casual days and class them up a bit. By pairing a printed tank (what can I say, we clearly love leopard here at T&S!!) and my favorite Minnies with a tweed sweater coat and black heels, the whole look is elevated. Plus the addition of some serious accessories doesn't hurt :)

Zara Sweater Coat (similar), J.Crew Vintage Cotton Tank, J.Crew Minnies, Pour La Victoire Heels,
Dooney & Bourke Bag (similar), Kate Spade Ring, Hermes, Forever 21 and AV Max (similar) Bracelets
Photo Credit: TJC
Photo Credit: TJC
For Allison's second look, she paired her trusty orange J. Crew cashmere sweater with a new pair of leopard capris, and her Clare Vivier La Tropézienne bag with her new obsession, her GiGi New York Indigo All-In-One Bag. Big ups to her mom, Bonni, for taking these two pictures! And for cleaning/rearranging her kitchen while she was asleep :)
J. Crew cashmere long-sleeve teeJ. Crew Leopard Cafe Capris, Clare Vivier La Tropézienne bag, GiGi New York Indigo All-In-One Bag, C. Wonder Tortoise and Hammered Gold Cuff, C. Wonder Tortoise and Gold Watch 
Photo Credit: Bonni Dolder
Photo Credit: Bonni Dolder
What are your not-so-boring business casual go-to's? Leave a comment with the 411, or email us at TartanandSequins@gmail.com! xoxo

Comments

  1. Cute looks! After seeing you in that Zara coat I think I need one:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those leopard pants and have been clueless about what to wear besides a white button down to make them work appropriate - I love the way you styled them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work outfits! I wish I could wear jeans as well, but I can not in my field, so I am always looking for ways to brighten up my outfits. Thanks for the tips!
    Katherine
    http://jagstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting!

Popular Posts