Work Wardrobe Staples


Image via

Let me just start this post of by admitting that I work in a very casual, creative environment. Could I wear jeans and a t-shirt most every day? Yep. Have I had jobs where I've done that? You bet. But in my current role, I do have to fly down to our client's offices about once a week and unfortunately, the jeans and  t-shirt look doesn't exactly read "I mean business." 

Trying to be chic and comfortable at work is a goal many aim for, few maintain. So when my friend asked me to write a post about workwear staples, I jumped at the chance. Allison and I did a HWSI last month on Not So Boring Business Casual but for this post I'd love to start at the staples. I mean, as much as I'd love to buy new clothes all the time, that just isn't my reality. I'd rather buy versatile pieces that can be worn in a variety of ways. You know, trick people into thinking I have more clothes than I have ;)


Image via

There are tons of options out there for work, but I'm going to focus in on which pieces I think serve as the building blocks for a look. Those pieces are:
  • Heels
  • Trousers
  • Pencil Skirt
  • Sweater
  • Button-Down
  • Blazer/Jacket
Now those seem like 'duh' moments to everyone right? The key here is that the style, cut, fabric and color make a world of difference. I mean, not all heels were created equal were they?

Heels
Speaking of heels, lets start with them. The key staple heel here would be a classic black pump. Great because they match with everything, classic black pumps can take you from an interview to happy hour with ease. The key is to get something classic, but not boring and stylish but not slutty. As someone who recently tried to find a pair of black pumps that covered off on all those bases, let me tell you, it's no easy feat. Luckily for you all though, I've done my research, and here are some of my favorite styles (fair warning, I LOVE a high heel).


Trousers
Up next are trousers. You all obviously know that the J.Crew Minnies are my go-to work pant. They're super comfortable and flattering cigarette pants. But while I've worn them in client meetings and interviews, I understand that my work environment is more casual than most so I think we should stick to trousers for today's discussion. Trousers are a very slimming and flattering cut as well, plus they are more professional. I've picked out some of my favorite classic, but not boring pieces.



Pencil Skirt

Ah the pencil skirt! One of my favorite articles of work clothing. You can do so much with a pencil skirt and always look completely pulled together. Worried about bumps? Buy yourself some Spanx and call it a day! Here are some of my favorite pencil skirts!


Sweater
Can I just say that I am a sweater fanatic? I don't know if its just me living in chilly San Francisco or what but I have approximately THIRTY sweaters in my closet right now. And you know what? I WANT MORE! Sweaters are a great staple because they can be worn on their own or as a layering piece. Plus, based on the time of year and corresponding thickness of the sweater, sweaters can be worn with pretty much anything. Check out the sweaters I'm ordering tomorrow I'm loving right now.



Button-Down
As you know, Allison and I love a good button down. We have come a long way with button-downs from the stretchy numbers from Express. No, today there are so many chic, flattering options out there! Great patterns and cuts that look great on most everyone. Here are some of my favorite styles!


Blazer/Jacket
Judging by the amount of blazers and light jackets in my closet, I'd say I'm a fan. They are such versatile pieces that work in the office and on the weekend. The key here is to break out of the boring boxy blazer club and step into the interesting, colorful, and flattering world of blazers and jackets. I've selected a whole range below of colors, shapes, fabrics, and patterns for you to choose from. Careful, you may want them all (I know I do)!



Xo J

Comments

  1. Although I do work from home - nothing beats getting dressed and then topping it all with a fresh apron. Since I paint, I feel like an apron is the finishing accessory.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blazers are definitely my favorite work staple! They help make my otherwise boring outfits look more polished and put-together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I know. Isn't a good blazer just THE BEST?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting!

Popular Posts